The Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is a summer academic enrichment and leadership program for outstanding high school students from around the world. Each summer, students from over 100 countries participate in one of nine interdisciplinary sessions and immerse themselves in a global learning community.
Yale Young Global Scholars invites students from over 125 countries and all 50 U.S. states to spend two weeks at Yale University attending an academic session of their choice. They offer sessions in engineering, biology, international affairs, literature, arts, and more. Participants experience university life through Yale faculty lectures and small-scale seminars, all while meeting students from around the world.
Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) Program Benefits.
- A small, intimate educational experience with an 8:1 student to instructor ratio
- A taste of university life, including residential dormitories, meals, labs, and lectures with Yale faculty
- Humanities, social sciences, science, and math curricula at a top research institution
- Easy, affordable access to the program with fee waivers, tuition packages, and travel assistance
- The most global summer program in the world, with students from all 50 U.S. states and over 125 countries
- A resume boost for your university applications, since participation at YYGS is recognized by admissions officers at colleges and universities
- And so much more!
Scholarship/Funding: YYGS provides need-based financial aid to both domestic and international students that covers partial- or full-tuition discounts (up to $6,300, or 100% of tuition), as well as scholarships that cover travel assistance.
Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) Program Eligibility.
In order to apply to YYGS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: Be at least 16 years old by July 19, 2020.
- English Fluency: Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Grade Level: Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Graduation Date: Be graduating in May/June 2021 or 2022 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2020 or 2021 from the Southern Hemisphere.
YYGS accepts applications from ALL countries.
Required Components: YYGS reviews all applications holistically. Our staff understands that students come from a wide variety of backgrounds and with different educational and extracurricular opportunities. As a result, the essays and letters of recommendation are the most important parts of the application.
- Activities list
- One 500-word essay and two 200-word responses
- Official school transcript
- Two letters of recommendation
- Unofficial standardized test scores, if available (submit or waive)
- Need-based financial aid (submit or waive)
- $60 application fee
- You must click the Finalize & Pay button on the “Review” page for your application to be considered.
How to Apply for Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) Program.
- Step 1: Review the YYGS eligibility criteria.
- Step 2: Review the YYGS application required components.
- Step 3: Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
- Step 4: You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.
- Step 5: Click APPLY NOW and start your 2019 application. Be sure to write down the email and password you use in case you need to login again to continue the application.
- Step 6: Contact YYGS Staff with ANY/ALL questions as you complete the application. The earlier you contact us, the more likely that we can help you by the deadline.
- Step 7: Check the “Review” page of the application to see if you are missing any required components, and go back into any pages that require further information.
- Step 8: Once your application is complete, on the “Review” page please click on the “Finalize & Pay” button at the bottom of the page.
- Step 9: Pay the $60 USD application fee. If you submitted a Fee Waiver Request*, this page will automatically skip.
*YYGS staff will contact you if your Fee Waiver Request is denied to let you know that your application will not be reviewed until the $60 YYGS application fee is paid.
- Step 10: Keep an eye out for an email from YYGS that confirms receipt of your completed application. Please note that confirmation emails usually arrive within 24-48 hours of submission, as there are sometimes delays in payment processing. Questions? Please contact us.