Selected African countries may study in the USA through the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program. The registration portal for the University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program (UMAPS) to study in the United States in 2023 is now open. See below for requirements.
Here, we’ll talk about the University of Michigan’s 2023 African Presidential Scholars Program, including how to apply online and the necessary information and resources.
Application info: University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) Program welcome direct applications from faculty members of colleges or universities from Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Uganda. Applicants from other countries in Africa cannot apply directly to UMAPS but need to be nominated by a University of Michigan faculty member with whom they already have an established relationship.
Applicants from other countries in Africa cannot apply directly to UMAPS but need to be nominated by a University of Michigan faculty member with whom they already have an established relationship.
Unfortunately, ASC is not able to help prospective applicants connect to U-M faculty, nor do we recommend reaching out to them directly.
The UMAPS program hosts two cohorts per year—August through December, and January through May—with *one* application round for both cohorts. Applicants will have the opportunity to indicate their preference for a particular cohort during the application process, but placement in a particular cohort (upon acceptance in the program) is not guaranteed.
Eligibility Requirements for University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program 2023 in USA
*Previous recipients of the UMAPS fellowship are not eligible to apply. Preference will be given to applicants without extensive international experience outside the continent.
All applicants must:
- Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, and who is presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
- Be employed in an ongoing position at a university or college in Africa
- Be able to demonstrate support from a home institution with a letter of recommendation from the head of department, dean, or vice chancellor.
Please note that applicants will not be able to fully submit their application until the endorsement from their home university has been received.
- Be able to remain in residence for five months
If you have any questions about eligibility in your specific case, please contact us at email@example.com
UMAPS scholarship Application Checklist and Timeline
August 15 to october 15, 2022
How to apply UMAPS 2023 Program
All applicants must:
- Complete the online application form » (IN THIS APPLICATION CYCLE, this link can only be used by applicants from the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, and Uganda)
- Upload a curriculum vitae using the online application
- Upload a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages). Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s disciplinary initiatives
- Provide complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support—this must be submitted before applicants can fully submit and complete their online application.
Applications will be reviewed after the closing date on October 15. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Only applications submitted through the online system will be considered.
UMAPS nomination process
For applicants from outside Angola, Botswana, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, South Africa, or Uganda, nomination is required and needs to be completed by a U-M faculty member familiar with the work of the prospective applicant. The nominating faculty must:
- Complete the online nomination form (for University of Michigan faculty only and access requires U-M login)
- Submit /upload a letter of endorsement that indicates their willingness to serve as a mentor during the length of the residency, commit to meet regularly, and if possible provide an office space for the prospective participant
As soon as we receive the complete nomination form and letter of support, we will send the nominated candidate an email invitation with a link to the application portal for nominated applicants; please do not use the regular application portal.