The Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) is currently accepting applications from suitably qualified individuals to occupy the position of Vice-Chancellor in the university. See the requirements and how to apply for the post of FUTA Vice-Chancellor below.
There will be a vacancy in the post of Vice Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Akure with effect from 24th May, 2022. Consequently, the Governing Council of the University has decided to commence in earnest the due process for the appointment of a Vice Chancellor in accordance with the provisions of the Universities of Technology Act as cited in Chapter F23 of the Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004; and the University Act.
The Federal University of Technology, Akure, came into formal existence in September 1981 as one of the four autonomous full-fledged Federal Universities of Technology that then existed in the Country.
The Motto of the University is, “Technology for Self-reliance” In choosing its motto, the University is laying emphasis on the objective of the University to contribute to national development and self-reliance through the advancement of science and technology. The University, with a total students population of over 22,000 and staff population of over 2,000 has highly developed programmes in the College of Health Sciences and the following ten (10) Schools: School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, School of Computing, School of Engineering and Engineering Technology, School of Environmental Technology, School of Earth and Mineral Sciences, School of Logistic and Innovation Technology, School of Life Sciences, School of Physical Sciences and School of Postgraduate Studies. The University’s Vision and Mission are as follows:
To be a world class University of Technology and a Centre of Excellence in training, research and service delivery.
To promote technological advancement by providing conducive environment for research, teaching and learning which engenders development of products that are technologically oriented, self-reliant and relevant to society.
The Vice Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Accounting Officer of the University, ex-officio Chairman of the Senate and member of the Governing Council. Among his other functions, the Vice Chancellor shall:
- be competent at all times to advise the Council on any matter affecting the policy, finance and administration of the University;
- be generally responsible to the Council for maintaining the efficiency and good order of the University and for ensuring the proper enforcement of the statutes, ordinances and regulations;
- be responsible for discipline in the University and;
- regulate the admission of students subject to guidelines and procedures approved by the Senate.
S/He may exercise such powers as may be necessary or expedient for that purpose.
Qualities and Qualifications
The applicant for the post of Vice Chancellor of the Federal University of Technology, Akure, must possess the following qualities and qualifications:
- be a highly distinguished scholar of the rank of professor of not less than ten (10) years’ experience on that rank in an institution of high reputation, with ability to provide academic and administrative leadership to the University Community;
- must possess a doctorate degree (Ph.D.) with a minimum of twenty (20) scholarly publications in reputable journals as at the time of appointment as a professor and evidence of scholarly publication in the last three years;
- be on a high pedestal of moral authority, of impeccable character and unassailable integrity, free from financial embarrassment and enjoy excellent physical and mental health;
- has specialized skills in a course that is relevant to the teaching and research mandate of the Federal University of Technology, Akure;
- has administration and research experience for a sustainable realization of the mandate and mission of a specialized University of Technology;
- be a person who is not likely to pursue racial, ethnic, political, religious or sectional interests;
- possesses drive and ability to attract much needed funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University;
- has demonstrable ability to establish and maintain partnership with local and International institutions, governmental and non-governmental agencies; and
- be a person who would not be older than 65 years on May 24, 2022 when the post is scheduled to be occupied.
Condition of Service
The Vice Chancellor will, in line with the Federal Universities of Technology Act, hold office for a single term of five (5) years only.
How to Apply for the Post of Vice-Chancellor at FUTA
Interested applicants are requested to note and comply with the following conditions:
- Each application should be accompanied by 35 copies of the applicant’s detailed “Curriculum Vitae” duly signed and dated by the applicant. The Curriculum Vitae must contain the candidate’s name in full, place and date of birth, marital status, number and ages of children, nationality, academic qualifications, degrees with classes (copies of certificates to be enclosed), teaching, research, administrative and managerial experience, academic distinctions, membership of academic and professional bodies and scholarly publication. (Visit the University website (FUTA curriculum vitae); www.futa.edu.ng) for detailed format of the
- statement of the candidate’s own vision for The Federal University of Technology, Akure as a University of the 21st Century (35 copies);
- candidate must nominate (3) referees who MUST forward references on him/her directly to the Registrar and Secretary to Council; such references should be able to attest to the candidate’s claims to high academic and managerial capability as well as his/her moral standing; such references must be received and signed for in the Office of the Registrar on or before 16 hours, Monday, 10th January, 2022. For candidates who are ‘searched’, references must be received and signed for in the Office of the Registrar on or before 16 hours, Wednesday, 12th January, 2022;
- all short-listed candidates shall be required to make themselves available for interaction at an appointed date;
- applications are to be submitted under confidential cover in envelopes marked at the Upper Left Hand Corner “Post of Vice Chancellor, FUTA”, to reach the Registrar and Secretary to Council, Federal University of Technology, P.M.B. 704, Akure, Ondo State, Nigeria, not later than six (6) weeks from the date of this publication, that is, 16 hours Monday, 10th January, 2022. For candidates who are ‘searched’, applications must be received and signed for in the Office of the Registrar not later than 16 hours, Wednesday, 12th January, 2022.
CANDIDATES SHOULD PLEASE NOTE THAT
- ONLY THOSE SHORTLISTED WILL BE CONTACTED
- NO ELECTRONIC APLLICATION WILL BE ENTERTAINED
CLICK HERE for more Job postings