What is an Essay?
An essay is, generally, a piece of writing. And it gives the author’s own argument. However, this definition is vague. Thus, it overlaps with those of a paper, an article, a pamphlet, and a short story.
However, essays have traditionally been sub-classified as formal and informal. Formal essays are characterized by serious purpose, dignity, logical organization, length.
Also, an informal essay is characterized by a personal element.
What is a Descriptive Essay?
The descriptive essay asks the writer to describe something. And this could be an object, person, place, experience, emotion, or situation. Also, it attempts to convey how that subject looked. And it felt, tasted, sounded, and smelled.
Additionally, it expresses the emotion or sensation so clearly and vividly. Thus, in it, the reader can feel the description too. Also, it is probably the easiest essay to write. And this is because; it tends to be more personal. And it involves less research.
Also, it is an opportunity to do some creative writing. However, they can be difficult when it comes to deciding just what to write about. The main goal of the descriptive essay is to describe something.
How to Write a Descriptive Essay?
When it comes to writing a descriptive essay, you should be aware of the structure. This is because it differs from all the other types of essay. Follow the steps below to write a great descriptive essay.
- Think of what to write.
- Also, pick a good topic.
- Furthermore, have some inspiration.
- Also, create a draft of your expository essay.
- Additionally, add details to your descriptive essay. You can do this with the help of enriched English vocabulary and online dictionaries.
- Also, take the time to revise.
- Additionally, edit the paper. And do this with the help of various free online grammar checking tools. You can visit HERE for help.
Wonderful Descriptive Essay Topics
Below are some wonderful descriptive essay topics:
Descriptive Essay Topics: Place
- Describe your favorite place.
- How would you love your ideal bedroom?
- Describe the house in which you grew up.
- How would the first house on the moon look like?
- Describe some of your favorite places in your hometown.
- How is the peaceful place that you’ve visited like?
- Describe a place that exists only in your imagination.
- What is your perfect fantasy vacation destination?
- Describe your favorite store.
- What is your favorite teacher’s classroom?
- Describe a museum that you’ve visited recently.
- What is the place where the pet likes spending time?
- Describe an outdoor place that you know well.
Descriptive Essay Topics: People
- Describe your favorite person. Look at some old family photos and describe an older family member as he or she was when at your age.
- Describe each of your family members.
- How is a famous person that you would like to meet?
- Describe one of your friends.
- Who are you? Describe yourself to someone who has never met you.
- What is your pet?
- Describe someone whom you miss.
Descriptive Essay Topics: Objects
- Describe an object that is special to you.
- Give a tour of one room in your house. Do this by describing the most important objects in that room.
- Describe one of your favorite outfits.
- What is your favorite toy as a child?
- Describe how you get around some stuff? For example a bicycle, skateboard, sneakers, your parents’ car, the school bus).
- What is your favorite piece of furniture where you like to spend time and relax?
- Describe something that you would bury in a time capsule to tell people about what life is like today.
- What is an object that has been in your family for a long time?
- Choose a piece of food to eat. And then, write a description of it. Also include the way it looks, smells and tastes.
- Describe a smartphone to a time traveler from the 1900s.
More Topics on Memories
- Describe your oldest memory.
- How was your best summer vacation?
- Describe a memorable concert you attended.
- What was the best memorable trip you took?
- Describe a special time that you and your family had together.
- How was the first time you met one of your old friends?
- Describe a time you met someone famous.
- When and how was one of your happiest memories?
- Describe one of your saddest memories.
- When and what was a time that you felt really scared?
- Describe a time that you felt excited.
- How is the memory of someone whom you miss?
- Describe one of your most memorable first days of school.
- What and when was one of your most embarrassing moments?
With the above descriptive essay topics, you can begin a wonderful descriptive essay. However, ensure you follow the tips given earlier.
Source: CNS Team